Adriana Suarez-Gonzalez




Since the beginning of my undergrad I became interested in plant genetics and its applications on plant breeding. I believe that understanding how genetic diversity relates to adaptation is crucial to incorporate phenotypic variation in crops and develop sustainable breeding practices.
During my Honours (Universidad Industrial de Santander) I explored the distribution of the genetic diversity within a population of a prominent aromatic species, which luckily for me is found in the Chicamocha Canyon (a breathtaking landscape!). In my M.Sc. (University of Winnipeg), I detected the effects of fragmentation at the genetic and ecological level in Prunus virginiana (chokecherry), and after graduation I worked with Dr. Good in a project to detect the glacial refugia of an endangered species from the North Atlantic Coast.
At Douglas Lab I aim to detect and characterize genes under local selection in blackcottonwood (Populus trichocarpa), an ecologically and economically important forest tree from North American, and the first tree species to have its genome sequenced. For my project I am using lab techniques for functional analysis (qRT_PCR, cloning) and bioinformatics. Want to know more?  
When I am not in front of my computer or in the lab, I am teaching, doing outreach (MEED), biking, running, hiking, or enjoying the beautiful BC (and other) landscape.


Publications 



Suarez-Gonzalez, A., Hefer, C., Christe, C., Corea, O., Lexer, C., Cronk, Q. & Douglas, C. (2015) 'Genomic and functional approaches reveal a case of adaptive introgression from Populus balsamifera (balsam poplar) in P. trichocarpa (black cottonwood)' Molecular Ecology, In Press.

     Suárez-Gonzalez, A., Good, S. (2013) Pollen limitation and reduced reproductive success are  associated with biparental inbreeding in a self-incompatible species, Prunus virginiana. Ann Bot 113 (4) (M.Sc.).

     Suárez, A., Castillo, G. & Chacón, M (2008) Genetic Diversity and Spatial Genetic Structure within a Population of an Aromatic Shrub, Lippia origanoides (Verbenaceae), in the Chicamocha Canyon, northeastern Colombia. Genetics Research 90: 455-465 

     Suárez, A., Martínez Nuñez, F., Castillo Villamizar G. & Chacón M. (2007) Molecular Characterization of Aromatic Species of the Genus Lippia from the Colombian Neotropics. Acta Horticulturae 756:129-137


Others
 Contributions for “ThinkSwiss - The brainstorm blog” (Research at Lexer lab, Swiss and Colombian relationships)